Proper dog nutrition can ensure that your Australian Shepherd will always be healthy and happy. However, in most cases, proper nutrition alone is not enough, as owners do not always have time to monitor the quality of food consumed, which is essential for your dog to always be healthy and happy.
The best help in this case are vitamins and supplements that contain substances for a happy and healthy dog. Fish oil is an increasingly popular addition to a healthy diet for dogs. In this article we will take a closer look at fish oil and is it good for your Australian Shepherd.
What Is Fish Oil?
Fish oil is a fatty oil derived from various types of fish such as salmon, mackerel, trout and so on. It is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids – eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
At present, fish residues are mostly used in the production of fish oil after processing. This saves natural resources and does not discard tonnes of fish residues with useful substances. The purest and most nutrient-preserving fish oil is usually made from small fish caught in clean seas.
Manufacturers use a variety of fish oil extraction technologies, which determine the purity and nutritional value of fish oil. Our dogs does not always have a balanced diet so that a sufficient amount of these fatty acids is really good supplement.
Fish Oil as a Food Supplements For Dogs
It is important for every dog owner to supply his pets will all the nutrients. While some food usually contain everything your dog needs for his or her health, there are also some useful supplements. This includes fish oil. But what are the benefits? Here:
- Fish oil contains valuable omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential. The beneficial substances in fish oil help the body fight viruses. They are especially easy to digest and easy to use for your dog.
- Fish oil stimulates his metabolism and strengthen his immune system. In addition, the consumption of fish oil also has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Fish oil also has a positive effect on the skin and coat. You can use it to help for a dog with skin problems, itching and dandruff. But please keep in mind that going to the vet is essential if your dog have health problems.
- Many vitamins can only be used if they are absorbed along with fat. If you update your Australian Shepherd’s diet with fish oil, it will also ensure a better supply of vitamins A, K, E and D.
- In older dogs, salmon oil improves cognitive skills such as focus, eyesight and memory. Fish oil also has an anti-inflammatory effect and can therefore help relieve the symptoms of joint diseases.
How to Choose a Fish Oil For Dog?
Below you will find some tips that should help you to find the right product for your dog. It is important to pay attention to the quality of the oil.
- The most valuable are oils obtained from whole fish. Sometimes there could be products that are made from leftover fish, such as heads.
- Like all other oils, fish oil should be stored in a cool, dark place. Dark glass bottles are the best.
- If you have only one dog, it is better to buy smaller package or container. Even if large quantities are often cheaper, you should only buy packs of a size that you can use in one or a maximum of two months.
- Make sure the fish oil you want to buy has a high enough EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) content. These are polyunsaturated omega 3 fatty acids that make fish oil especially valuable for your dog. Good fish oils should be at least 15-20 percent.
- Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when setting the dose and consult your veterinarian.
What Are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Omega – 3 are fatty acids that are important for the health of the whole body, from a strong immune system to brain function. In fact, omega-3 fatty acids are very important for metabolism. They are the building block of our cell membranes. They are also needed for the production of various tissue hormones. Studies have also shown that omega-3 fatty acids strengthen the immune system and reduce inflammatory processes.
Fish oil for dogs is a very healthy and tasty food supplement that can be given for a variety of reasons. This oil is natural and contains many valuable ingredients. At the same time, dogs usually like it and tolerate it well. The essential fatty acids have a positive effect on the immune system and thus strengthen the dog’s resistance. Salmon oil supports the cell structure, helps with skin irritations and skin allergies. In addition, it helps to keep a beautiful coat shine. It can also improve symptoms such as eczema, dandruff, hair loss and dry skin.